You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-11 21:55:20

Mark J

Just a quick thanks :)

Hi everyone,

Please feel free to move this to the appropriate section if its in the wrong area.

I just wanted to say a huge thanks to the GRRLIB dev guys as came across this library and thought id give it a go in coding a little something.

I'm currently writing a pong game (yeah simple but best start at the easy end especially when I havn't touched C in years lol!)
It started out just as a simple exercise and to write for my kids to play, but is now evolving into a more usable game for others.

Anyway, the 'classic' pong is working after a couple of slack evenings work, and now in the process of jazzing it up with more modern graphics and various other additions (classic pong is going to be an option in the main game screen to play that or the new one)

Once the program is completely finished I will be uploading both the executable and also all the source for others to have a look at (and pick on my ropey coding techniques lol)

I will be letting people have sneak previews of it at various stages so if anyone fancies taking a look (when the next stage is done) then let me know.

Will post some pictures too when I get off my backside and get some taken (wont be great as will be using my phone to take a pic)

Mark.

PS. If I hadn't found these libraries, I know for sure I wouldnt have even attempted to give coding on the Wii a go.

#2 2009-10-14 17:05:14

NoNameNo
Administrator

Re: Just a quick thanks :)

hehehe CHAMPAGNE !!!
our "near" first official THNX message in the forum !!!!

happy to see that we could help you to start coding wii wink
ehhe it's the first goal of the lib wink

i hope to be able to see some of your prods soon wink

kisses from GRRLib Dev Team wink

#3 2009-10-14 17:15:24

Mark J

hehe thanks smile

Here's a rar file of it so far.

The single player mode needs a bit of tweeking as the cpu seems a BIT good at hitting the ball most of the time lol!

Ignore the music, just put that in there to check the mod playing was working, a friend of mine will be working on the music for me, so that's a job covered as im tone deaf when it comes to writing music.

Will be starting the modern version next, so for now if you choose the modern game mode in this version you wont see any bats or a ball lol!

Feedback welcome.

Mark.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark-jervi … %20wip.rar

Edit: classic game font will be changed as its just one i borrowed from your demo. also using the latest release libs too smile

Edit 2: ignore the pause/quit instructions, during the game the A button takes you back to the title screen and regardless, the home button quits!!! (something I need to change but forgot at the mo!!!)

Last edited by Mark J (2009-10-14 17:26:49)

#4 2009-10-14 18:13:31

Crayon
Bad Mother Fucker

Hi, if you need more fonts, you could go to http://bmf.wz.cz/index.php?mode=gif

They are GIF files, so don't forget to save them has PNG.

#5 2009-10-14 18:29:12

Mark J

Crayon wrote:

Hi, if you need more fonts, you could go to http://bmf.wz.cz/index.php?mode=gif

They are GIF files, so don't forget to save them has PNG.

Cool cheers for the link.

Will scan through later to see if any catch my eye smile

Mark.

#6 2009-10-17 11:25:55

Mark J

Anyone downloaded it and had a look yet?
Just working on the modern version now, hopefully have another version to show before too long.

#7 2009-10-20 06:02:57

Crayon
Bad Mother Fucker

Mark J wrote:

Just working on the modern version now, hopefully have another version to show before too long.

I really like the intro with the balls falling and the moving logo smile

I tried to play Normal but the CPU was too good sad

I think for going back to the main menu it should be another button than A. Because I kept hitting the button for some reason!?!

Continue your good work...

#8 2009-10-20 11:08:33

Mark J

Crayon wrote:

Mark J wrote:

I really like the intro with the balls falling and the moving logo smile

I tried to play Normal but the CPU was too good sad

I think for going back to the main menu it should be another button than A. Because I kept hitting the button for some reason!?!

Continue your good work...

Cool glad you like it so far (apart from the cpu in normal mode lol! I did notice it was a BIT good lol.. Have tweeked it a touch so hopefully its not as keen as it was)

I will be changing the A button to the home button, as I accidentally hit the A a few times too lol! big_smile

Been adding a few different background styles for the modern mode and the first one I did I really like, the second one im still unsure of, but will carry on with it to see if I can polish it up a a bit etc.
For the modern game, it will randomly choose one of the styles of backgrounds, some of which will make your eyes go funny lol.big_smile

Once im happy with the amount of random backgrounds (or my brain dries up on what to do with different ones!) then i'll be looking at adding collectables which will give the player (dis)advantages etc, as to what as yet, im undecided but i'll throw a few ideas about and see what comes of it etc.

Glad you like the intro screen, took me a while to get it looking nice, as with it been the first part people see, I wanted to make it look relatively nice (Even depth sorted the falling balls too! as nothing worse than seeing a small slow ball over the top of the faster supposedly closer bigger balls!)

Mark.

#9 2009-11-04 16:17:04

Mark J

Hi guys,

Just to let you know ive not dissapeared lol, just that bloody annoying thing called real life has been getting in the way big_smile but will be sticking with writing pongwii again. (Also been writing a tilemap editor for a 2d platform game as already been throwing ideas around my head for another game smile )

Mark

#10 2009-11-08 21:26:07

Mark J

Well, its slowly progressing lol!

(excuse pic quality, just grabbed some quick snaps using my iphone and the cameras not the greatest by far!)

Title page/selection page.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark-jervis/pongwii/title.jpg

Still working on the modern backgrounds, and so far have got 3 finished types which are:

Mirrorfinity (the old classic camera looking at what its recording on the TV giving the picture in picture in picture etc etc etc effect.)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark-jervis/pongwii/infinity.jpg

Vortex of Age (multi layered vortex in grey (hence the age lol!) with stars coming out
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark-jervis/pongwii/vortex.jpg

Popcorn (OOooo look weve got a popcorn machine on the Wii!!! hehehe)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark-jervis/pongwii/popcorn.jpg
All the popcorn jumps all over the screen randomly and its a real eye bender to try to look at the ball at the same time lol!)

Still more to come, just a matter of getting enough spare time and brain bashing to come up with other ideas etc.

Kids had a play earlier and found a couple of minor bugs which got sorted (ie the 2nd player in 2p mode was on the same side of the screen as p1 OOPS!)

Will see about getting another demo uploaded soon so some more playtesting would be appreciated.

Mark.

Last edited by Mark J (2009-11-09 00:50:17)

Board footer