You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-01 00:41:18

flarup

Widescreen support in my application

Hi,

Some users have asked me to make widescreen support in my homebrew application, which seems like a reasonable request. They write that the picture looks "stretched" on their screens.

I can see that CashMan's patch is already in the latest revision of GRRLIB from trunk, so I added the following 2 methods to my local copy of GRRLIB, in order to get the screen resolution:

Code:

int GRRLIB_GetWidth() {
    return rmode->fbWidth;
}

int GRRLIB_GetHeight() {
    return rmode->efbHeight;
}

However, no matter how much I play around with the screen settings on my Wii, these methods ALWAYS return 640 * 480 as the screen resolution. Shouldn't the resolution be 678 * 480 for Wii's configured to use widescreen? Or am I getting the screen height and width in an incorrect way?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Kind regards,
Flarup

#2 2009-06-19 21:51:20

tribasic

Re: Widescreen support in my application

Hi Flarup,

I was wondering if you figured out how to add widescreen support to your homebrew app. I've been trying to get widescreen mode to work in my programs too, but I always seem to get 640x480 output no matter what I try. I think that widescreen should be 678x480. I'm using the latest GRRLIB too, so it includes Cashman's widescreen patch.

Anyway, I was just curious, because it doesn't look like there's a lot of information on this. Or maybe I'm just overlooking something.

Thanks,

Tribasic

#3 2009-06-19 22:57:46

flarup

Hi,

The best explanation I was able to find, is that the widescreen resolution is ALSO 640*480 pixels. You dont get more pixels to work with during widescreen mode. What you as a programmer then is supposed to do, is squeze more scenery from your game into these pixels, and then its up to the TV to stretch out the pixels - the end result being that more scenery is displayed to the user WITHOUT looking squezed.

With that being said, I would really like if someone could confirm that this is indeed how its supposed to work.

Flarup

#4 2009-06-19 23:12:17

tribasic

Thanks for your reply Flarup!

I just think that it's weird if my Wii is set to 16:9 Widescreen mode, and if I plot a circle,  it will come out as an oval. I would think that it should be a circle!

But another thing that I just discovered only moments ago is that if I set my Wii into 4:3 aspect ratio, and I leave my television set to 16:9 widescreen mode, my program will output at the correct aspect ratio! I get perfect circles! That doesn't make sense to me, because I would think my image should get even more stretched!

What do you think?

Tribasic

Last edited by tribasic (2009-06-19 23:14:48)

#5 2009-06-19 23:16:55

flarup

I have the same experience on my TV, but I assume it's because its rather old, and isn't doing the stretching the way it's supposed to do it. It chops off a bit on top and bottom instead of stretching.

#6 2009-06-19 23:32:47

tribasic

Well, thanks for your help! smile

If I happen to figure anything out regarding the widescreen aspect ratio, I'll let you know.

But I think that you might be right about a fixed 640x480 resolution on the Wii. I guess we just have to deal with it.

Board footer